Wednesday 25 April 2018

Weather? Or Not ...

I've blogged before about weather in books, but I'm coming back to it again, probably because of the weird changes of weather we've been having in the UK lately. I mean - snow on 1st April and summer on 19th?


When I created a freak snow storm  for the Christmas novella I did it with tongue in cheek, and then nature follows art ... I'm currently editing and re-writing Riviera 2 with sun and fine weather, so here's hoping. I'm also playing with a short story that features a thunder storm. I don't think I've ever written thunder and lightening before.


As I say, frequently, I don't usually do bad weather in books, I like even my murder to be sunny, but a Christmas book rather calls for snow. And. of course, all kinds of weather can be useful to a writer. Like everything, it just depends how you use it. The 'good' side of snow is the cosy element, children playing, hot chocolate, being indoors and watching it through the window - then there's being out in it - cold, miserable and dangerous, and there's plenty of that in What Happens at Christmas. Just ask Drew!  


The Riviera books are, and will be, if I keep writing them, solid sunshine, although there may be some dark deeds going on as well as the fun and the romance. For the romantic suspense - well I like good weather in those too. And the contrast between sunshine and nasty goings on can be very atmospheric. I mean, have you ever had one of those times in your life when your world is falling apart and the sun is shining and everyone else is going around living their normal life and enjoying it? Yes, that.


If you're writing a full length book you can be with your characters for a long time, which is why I can't write unsympathetic leads. Or, rather, I don't want to, although they are popular at the moment. If I'm spending all that time with these people, then I really need to like them. The villain is different - don't ask me why villains are fun to write because I don't know, and when you think about it, it's a disturbing idea, but that's just how it is.


And the same with the weather. If I'm in this book for a long time, I'm going to have some sunshine while I do it, even if it's tipping down outside.


Now, about this thunder storm ...

No comments:

Post a Comment